Here are the main problem I see with rolling Google Apps out to Outlook users who are used to Exchange:
- Access to shared calendars won’t work the same
- I guess you could use something like OggSync to sync public and selected private calendars, but that is kludgey compared to Exchange free/busy functionality.
- Using the Google Apps web interface is probably almost as good, but there is usually a lot of resistance to this thin client approach.
- I played around with Outlook 2003 and iCal/WebDav for free-busy info, but it was a pain to set up. I should revisit this and see if there is a better way to do it now.
- No Global Address Book
- I’m not sure how to address this.
- No Public Folders
- Does anyone really use these effectively anyway? Most of the uses I’ve seen could have been done a number of different ways.
Well one client recently didn’t see a problem with going down this route. I would definitely put my money on Google over ZImbra, OpenGroupWare, etc..